2013 Ohio State Fair
Catherine L. Blackwood
1 c. Sugar
½ tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1/3 c. all-purpose flour
6 Cortland apples, peeled, coredand sliced
2 Tbsp. Butter, melted
1 c. All-purpose flour
1 c. Firmly packed brouwn sugar
½ c. Rolled Oats
¾ c. Toasted, chopped pegans
1 Stick of Butter, melted
Ohio Sherry Cream Sauce:
1/3 c. Ohio Sherry
1 Large Egg
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 c. Sugar
½ c. Butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 c. Heavy Cream, whipped
1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
2. Combine sugar, flour and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.
3. Add apples and stir until coated with sugar mixture.
4. Use melted butter to grease a 3-quart baking dish or casserole.
5. Spoon apples into dish and cover with crumb topping.
6. Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until apples are bubbling and the topping is golden brown
For Crumb Topping:
1. Combine flour, brown sugar, rolled oats and pecans in a medium mixing bowl.
2. Stir melted butter into dry mixture.
For Ohio Sherry Cream Sauce:
1. Beat sherry, egg, and vanilla together in a small saucepan.
2. Blend in sugar and butter.
3. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wire whisk until smooth and slightly thickened.
4. Pour into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
5. Chill at least 4 hours.
6. Fold into whipped cream.
*Note: this sauce freezes well for future use. It makes an excellent topping for fresh fruit*
To Toast Pecans:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Spread pecans on a baking sheet.
3. Bake 6-8 minutes, stirring once or twice until evenly golden brown.
4. Watch carefully to avoid burning.