Second Place, Desserts Category
2005 Ohio State Fair
Saint Louisville, Ohio
3 c. sugar
½ tsp. salt
4 Ohio eggs
2¾ c. Ohio milk
1 tsp. almond extract
4 c. stale bread, cubed
¼ c. almonds, sliced
6 oz. Ohio blackberries
8 oz. Ohio butter
1/3 c. corn syrup
½ c. Ohio whipping cream
½ c. Lonz Blackberry Wine
1. Butter 2-quart baking dish.
2. Melt 4 oz. butter in small saucepan. Toss bread and almonds in butter and place in baking dish.
3. Add blackberries and toss to evenly distribute. Set aside.
4. Sift together 1 c. sugar and salt. In large bowl, combine milk, eggs, and almond extract. Sift in sugar and salt and beat well.
5. Pour over bread combination in baking dish. Bake at 350° for 45 to 60 minutes until set.
6. Remove from oven and set aside to cool slightly.
7. In small saucepan, melt remaining 4 oz. butter. Add 2 c. sugar and stir until dissolved.
8. Stir in corn syrup, whipping cream, and Lonz Blackberry Wine. Simmer on low heat until thickened.
9. Scoop pudding into small serving bowl and drench with syrup.