2016 Second Place Entrée – Cooking with Ohio Wines Competition
2 lbs. beef, cut up
2 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. brandy
2 tbsp. tomato paste
3 tbsp. flour
1 cup Moyer’s Cabernet Sauvignon
1 1/2 cups water
2 cans mushrooms
24 pitted Kalamata olives
1 tbsp. currant jelly
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. fresh thyme
1 jar small onions
1 clove garlic, grated
1 tbsp. butter
1/2 cup Moyer’s Cabernet Sauvignon wine
1. Brown beef in first amount of butter.
2. Add brandy and cook a minute or two.
3. Remove meat from pan.
4. Add tomato paste and flour to butter remaining in pan. Stir until smooth.
5. Add 1 cup wine and water slowly.
6. Add mushrooms and olives and stir until thickened and mixture comes to a boil.
7. Add jelly, bay leaf, salt, pepper, and thyme.
8. Add meat.
9. In a separate pan, sauté garlic until soft in second amount of butter. Add to meat along with onions.
10. Cook stew for about 3 hours.
11. Transfer cooking liquid to a small saucepan, add 1/2 cup wine.
12. Cook over medium heat until liquid is reduced by half.
13. Pour liquid over meat and transfer to a serving dish.
14. Serve with rice.