Traditional Indian Garam Masala Seasoning Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 bay leaves, crumbled
Meat and Vegetables Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 to 4 pounds boneless short ribs
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 heads garlic, cut in half crosswise
- 2 cups Vinoklet Brother Joe Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 quart chicken stock
Traditional Indian Garam Masala Seasoning Directions:
- Toast coriander and cumin seeds over medium-high heat in small frying pan; shaking pan constantly for about 2 minutes.
- Put seeds in spice grinder and cool.
- Add remaining spices and grind to a fine powder.
- Keep garam in an air-tight container.
Meat and Vegetable Directions:
- Preheat oven to 325-degrees Fahrenheit.
- Put oil into a large oven-proof skillet with lid.
- Season meat with salt and sear over high heat until brown on all sides; removing to a plate.
- Add onions, carrots and celery to the pan and cook until they begin to brown.
- Add tomatoes and garlic and 3 tablespoons garam and cook until tomatoes begin to release their juice.
- Stir in 2 cups Vinoklet Brother Joe and boil until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Pour in chicken stock and return liquid to a simmer.
- Return meat to pan, cover with lid and place skillet in over and cook for 2 hours.
- When meat is tender, transfer to baking sheet.
- Strain liquid into saucepan and boil over high heat until liquid is reduced to 1 cup.
- Brush meat with some of the sauce and broil for 3 minutes per side.
- Sprinkle meat with a little garam and slice to serve with basmati rice.