2011 Ohio State Fair
3 slices bacon, cut into 2-inch pieces
3 lb. beef round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 c. Ohio Burgundy wine (or Ohio dry red wine)
1/2 c. water
1 (10.5oz) can condensed beef broth
1/2 tsp. thyme leaves
1 garlic clove, minced
1 bay leaf
16 small boiling onions or 1 (16oz) can small onions, drained
16 baby carrots or 5 carrots cut into 2-inch pieces
2 tbsp. margarine or butter, softened
2 tbsp. flour
2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley, if desired
8 cups hot cooked brown or white rice
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Use a skillet to pre-fry bacon until crisp.
3. Drain out liquid fat; set aside on a paper towel covered plate.
4. Brown the beef in your skillet; drain out liquid fat.
5. Stir in Ohio wine, water, beef broth, thyme, garlic, and bay leaf.
6. Cover; bake at 350 degrees for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
7.Add bacon, onion, and carrots.
8. Cover; continue baking 1 to 1&1/2 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender, stir occassionally.
9. Remove from oven and take out bay leaf.
10. Temporarily remove meat and vegetables into a side pot; keep warm.
11. In small bowl, combine margarine and flour.
12. Gradually add about 1/2 c. of the cooking liquid, stirring until smooth.
13. Add flour mixture to remaining liquid; cook over medium heat until mixture thickens, stirring constantly.
14. Add back meat and vegetables.
15. Heat thoroughly.
16. Serve over rice.