2015 Third Place Entrée – Cooking with Ohio Wines Competition
- 1 1/2 pounds beef (eye of round) cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup semi-dry Ohio red wine
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 1/4 pounds sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 pound baby Portobello mushrooms, halved
- 4 carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 parsnips, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 turnip, cut into 3/4-inche cubes
- Preheat oven to 325-degrees Fahrenheit. In an oven-proof dutch oven, heat two tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat. Brown beef in batches.
- Add remaining oil to pan. Add onions; stirring and cooking two to three minutes until tender. Add garlic. Cook one minute. Add broth and wine; stirring to remove brown bits from pan. Stir in thyme, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Bake covered for 1 1/4 hours.
- In bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into stew. Add potatoes and vegetables. Bake covered for 45 to 60 minute, or until beef and vegetables are tender.