2015 Third Place Dessert – Cooking with Ohio Wines Competition
- 2 1/2 cups 2012 River Village Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 lemon rind
- 1 orange rind and juice
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 1/3 cup caster sugar (or regular sugar ground further in food processor)
- 8 teaspoons gelatin
- 2 3/4 cups milk
- 1 egg white
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cream
- Seedless grapes
- Combine wine, rinds, 2 cinnamon sticks and 1/2 cup sugar in small pan. Heat on low until sugar dissolves. Put orange juice in small bowl and sprinkle 5 teaspoons gelatin on top. When mix is spongy, place bowl in boiled water bath and stir until gelatin dissolves.
- Stir gelatin into wine. Pour through strainer into wetted molds. Fill molds halfway. Dispose of rinds and cinnamon.
- Place molds in refrigerator and allow to set.
- Gently heat milk, vanilla bean and one cinnamon stick in pan until almost boiling. Remove from heat and let infuse for 5 minutes. Remove vanilla bean and cinnamon stick.
- Whisk egg yolks and 2/3 cup sugar until thick and pale. Whisk in milk. Pour mixture into large pan and heat on low until it thickens. Remove from heat. Cover surface and allow to become spongy.
- Put 2 tablespoons water in heatproof bowl. Sprinkle 3 teaspoons gelatin on surface and allow to become spongy. Place bowl in boiled water bath and stir gelatin until it dissolves. Whisk into custard, cover and allow to cool.
- Beat cream until soft peaks form. Fold into cold custard.
- Pour custard into molds on top of wine jelly. Replace in refrigerator and allow to set.
- Place egg white in one bowl and remaining sugar in another. Dip grapes in egg white and then in sugar. Shake off excess sugar and leave to dry on non-stick paper.
- After removing parfaits from molds, add grapes as garnish and serve.