Best of Show
First Place, Desserts Category
2005 Ohio State Fair
Ingredients for Orange Chiffon Cake:
1 c. cake sifted cake flour
½ c. granulated sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. kosher salt
2 tbsp. canola oil
1 tbsp. minced orange zest, grated
¼ c. orange juice
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 Ohio egg yolks
6 Ohio egg whites at room temperature
¼ tsp. cream of tartar
Ingredients for Sangria Compote:
1½ c. Debonne Vineyards Razzberry Riesling
1½ c. Debonne Vineyards Chambourcin
¼ c. granulated sugar
1 tbsp. cornstarch
juice of 1 lime
¾ c. orange juice
1 c. fresh Ohio black raspberries
1 c. fresh Ohio strawberries
Ingredients for Sugar Decoration:
7/8 c. water
1½ c. sugar
Ingredients for Glaze:
3½ oz. apple jelly
¼ c. water
Ingredients for Garnish:
fresh apple slices
Instructions for Orange Chiffon Cake:
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt; stirring well.
3. On slow speed of mixer, beat in oil, orange zest, orange and lime juices, vanilla, and egg yolks until smooth.
4. In large bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff glossy peaks form.
5. Stir ¼ of egg white mixture into batter.
6. Gently fold in remaining egg white mixture.
7. Spoon batter into ungreased, non-stick tube pan.
8. Smooth the top.
9. Breaky any air pockets by cutting through batter with knife.
10. Bake 25 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
11. Invert pan and let cake cool for at least 40 minutes.
Instructions for Sangria Compote:
1. Hull and quarter strawberries.
2. Peel, pit, and cut plums into wedges.
3. In small bowl, mix sugar and cornstarch.
4. In large stainless steel pot, combine wines, sugar/cornstarch mixture, and lime and orange juices.
5. Bring to a boil over high heat. Then reduce to a simmer.
6. Cook until slightly thickened.
7. In large bowl, combine strawberries, raspberries, and plums.
8. Pour hot liquid over fruit; stirring thoroughly but gently.
9. Let cool to room temperature.
10. Cover and refrigerate.
Instructions for Glaze:
1. In small saucepan over low heat, heat water and apple jelly until jelly is completely dissolved.
2. Cool slightly then brush over cake and garnish fruit with a pastry brush.
3. Pour small amount of confectioner’s sugar into sieve.
4. Lightly dust top of cake and plate surrounding cake.
Instructions for Cracked Sugar:
1. Heat water and sugar over low heat; stirring gently until sugar is completely dissolved.
2. Increase heat to high and using a candy thermometer, heat sugar to exactly 320°.
3. Do not stir once sugar mixture begins to boil.
4. Remove from heat.
5. Dip a fork into sugar mixture and flick fork so that candy strands fall in threads or “puddles” on parchment paper.
6. Allow to cool completely.
7. Bread candy into pieces.
Instructions for Garnish:
1. Clean and slice apples into thin wedges.
2. Sprinkle with fruit fresh.
4. Arrange apples, raspberries, and strawberries in center of cake.
1. Glaze cake and garnish fruits with Apple Jelly Glaze
2. Dust top of cake lightly with confectioner’s sugar.
3. Pour compote over sides of cake and arrange fruit attractively around periphery of cake.
4. Garnish with fresh fruit and cracked sugar.
5. Slice cake into individual portions.
6. Pour additional compote over slice of cake and arrange fruit atop and around cake.