Second Place, Dessert Category
2011 Ohio State Fair
1 c. sugar
3 tbsp. cold water
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 c. cake flour
1 tsp. baking powder
2 egg whites (reserved from cake)
3/4 c. sugar
1&1/2 c. peach nectar
1 c. Breitenbach Peach Wine
Whipped Cream Frosting:
1 c. heavy cream
3 tbsp. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
fresh peach slices
1. Preheat oven and grease and flour two 9″ round cake pans.
2. Separate eggs, placing 4 whites in mixing bowl and saving 2 whites for marinade.
3. Place yolks in another mixing bowl and beat until light.
4. Gradually add sugar, beating until fluffy and cream color.
5. Stir in water and vanilla.
6. Sift flour and baking powder togeher and fold into egg mixture.
7. Beat 4 egg whites until stiff, but not to dry and fold into batter.
8. Divide batter between two prepared pans.
9. Bake until top springs back when lightly touched in center.
10. Allow to cool completely in pans on wire racks.
11. Remove one layer with help of small spatula to a deepish serving dish.
12. Slowly spoon 1/2 of the marinade over it.
13. Top with second layer and spoon remaining marinade over it; baste a few seconds.
14. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
15. Just before serving frost with the whipped topping and decorate with peach slices.
1. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
2. Gradually beat in sugar until sharply peaks.
3. Stir in nectar and wine.
1. Whip cream until thick and softly peaked.
Gradually stir in sugar and vanilla.