2004 Ohio State Fair
Ingredients for Filling:
1½ c. Firelands Isle St. George Riesling wine
1 c. sugar
2 tbsp. sugar, divided
4 large Ohio peaches, peeled and thinly-sliced
2/3 c. almonds, blanched
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
7 tbsp. unsalted butter, room temperature
1 Ohio egg
1 Ohio egg yolk
½ tsp. vanilla
Ingredients for Tart Crust:
2 c. and 2 tbs p. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. sugar
7 tbsp. shortening, chilled
6 tbsp. unsalted butter
4 tbsp. ice water
1 Ohio egg yolk
Ingredients for Glaze:
1 c. Ohio apricot preserves
Instructions for Tart Crust:
1. In large mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, and sugar.
2. With pastry blender, cut shortening and butter into dry ingredients, until pieces are pea-sized or slightly smaller.
3. In small bowl, combine ice water and egg yolk; mixing well.
4. Add liquid mixture to dry ingredients (adding small amounts at a time); mixing well with a fork.
5. Form into a ball.
6. Cover with wax paper and chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
7. Roll out to 1/8-inch thickness and place in 10-inch tart pan.
8. Chill thoroughly or freeze.
9. After chilling, use knife to trim excess crust from tart pan sides.
Instructions for Filling:
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Heat Firelands Isle St. George Riesling wine over medium heat until reduced by half.
3. Add sugar; continuing to simmer until reduced to ½ c.
4. Remove wine from heat and cool to luke warm temperature.
5. Place sliced peaches in bowl and pour ¼ c. Riesling reduction over peaches; stirring gently.
6. In food processor, finely grind almonds and flour.
7. With electric mixer, cream butter and ½ c. sugar until light and fluffy.
8. Gradually beat in egg and egg yolk.
9. Stir in almonds and vanilla extract.
10. Spread almond mixture into tart shell.
11. Arrange peach slices in concentric circles over almond mixture.
12. Pour remaining Riesling reduction over peaches.
13. Place in oven for 20 minutes or until crust begins to brown.
14. Reduce heat to 350°; continuing to cook until almond cream is set, approximately 30 to 40 minutes.
15. Remove from oven and pour glaze on top of peaches.
16. Lightly sprinkle 2 tbsp. sugar over top.
17. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Instructions for Glaze:
1. In small saucepan, heat apricot preserves over medium heat until boiling.
2. With pastry brush, brush over peaches while still warm.