Third Place, Desserts Category
2011 Ohio State Fair
1 whole pineapple
1 c. Hidden Lakes Winery Summer Red Wine
1 c. water
1/2 c. sugar
Pineapple pieces and cherries to garnish
1. Cut small portion of top off of pineapple. If needed trim bottom of pineapple so that it will sit flat on the table.
2. Carefully remove all pineapple from shell of pineapple while keeping shell in tack, remove core from pineapple and dispose.
3. Place pineapple shell in freezer overnight.
4. Place pineapple pieces in blender, reserving a few pieces for garnish.
5. Puree pineapple, puree should measure to approximately 2 cups.
6. In saucepan, combine pineapple puree, wine, water, and sugar.
7. Simmer about 5 minutes.
8. Place mixture in freezer safe bowl and place in freezer.
9. Fluff mixture with a fork every hour for 4 hours.
10.Leave mixture in freezer for 4 hours or overnight.
11.When ready to serve remove pineapple shell and mixture from freezer and fluff with fork.
12. Place granita in pineapple shell and garnish with remaining pineapple pieces and cherries, if desired.