Second Place, Dessert Category
2014 Ohio State Fair
4 firm ripe medium Bosc pears, peeled & cored from the bottom
4 tbsp lemon juice
1 cup water
3 cups Debonne Pinot Grigio or other dry Ohio white wine
3/4 cup fine sugar
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
1 cup gingersnaps
1/4 cup pinenuts
4 tsp sugar
dash of salt
1 1/2 tbsp melted butter
1 tbsp crystallized ginger (finely chopped)
1 cup whole Greek yogurt
4 tsp powdered sugar
1. On a cutting board, cut pears across the middle into 3 equal sections. Place sections in a medium bowl and toss with lemon juice. Set aside.
2. Remove pulp from vanilla bean with back of a knife. Combine water, wine, sugar & vanilla bean pod & pulp in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and stir until sugar is dissolved. Reduce heat to medium low & add pears. Simmer until pears are tender, 15 to 20 minutes, turning pears over a few times during cooking. Remove pears with slotted spoon & place in a medium bowl. Set aside.
3. Remove vanilla bean pod from poaching liquid; bring liquid to boil over medium high heat until reduced in half (10 to 15 minutes). Cool slightly; then pour over pears. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
4. Preheat over to 350 degrees. Chop gingersnaps in a food processor until coarse crumbs. In a medium bowl, combine gingersnap crumbs with pinenuts, sugar, salt & melted butter. Spread onto parchment linden rimmed baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes or until pinenuts are toasted. Cool, transfer to a bowl, toss with ginger. Set aside.
5. Whisk yogurt in a medium bowl with powdered sugar until smooth. Add 1/2 cup chilled poaching liquid & whisk until well combined. Chill until ready to assemble parfaits.
6. To make parfaits, add a layer of crumbs into bottom of 4 wine glasses. Top with a dollop of yogurt. Place pear bottoms into each glass. Add another dollop of yogurt on top of pear bottom, sprinkle with 2 teaspoons of crumbs; then add middle section of pear to each glass; repeat layering. When finished with top section of pear, drizzle each pear with a tablespoon of syrup. Garnish with a few crumbs. Serve.