2011 Ohio State Fair
4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breats
1/4 c. Breitenbach Chardonnay
1 lb. fontina cheese, thinly sliced
1 tsp. garlic salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
4-6 slices prosciutto
1 tsp. saffron threads, crushed
1 c. Breitenbach Chardonnay
2 tbsp. butter
1 small white onion, chopped
3 c. arborio rice
1 tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
6 c. chicken broth, or as needed
1 c. grated parmesan cheese
1. Marinate the chicken breasts in the wine for about 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Cut the chicken lengthwise through the fattest part of the chicken to creat a pocket. Stuff a few slices of fontina cheese into the pocket. Season the chicken with garlic salt and pepper. Wrap each chicken breast in proscuitto. Bake the chicken for 20-25 minutes or until cooked through.
3. While the chicken is baking prepare the risotto. Place the wine and saffron in a small bowl. Stir briefly, then let sit. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion; cook and stir until transparent, about 3 minutes. Mix the rice, and continue cooking and stirring until the rice has absorbed most of the butter.
4. Slowly stir the white wine and saffron into the rice, stirring continuously until the wine is absorbed and the rice is creamy. Season with thyme, then pour in 1 cup of chicken broth at a time, cooking and stirring constantly until each cup of broth is absorbed before adding the next. Stop adding broth when the rice is tender. If you run out of broth, you may use water. Remove from heat, stir in the parmesan cheese.
5. To serve place generous amount of risotto on a plate and top with prosciutto wrapped chicken breast.