Third Place Dessert
2017 Cooking with Ohio Wines Competition at the Ohio State Fair
2 (14 oz.) boxes Dufour classic puff pastry
3/4 C almond paste
3/4 C sugar
12 tbsp. butter, room temperature
2 large eggs
3 tbsp. wine reduction (Ohio Riesling)
1/3 C almond flour
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
4 fresh apricots, pitted and halved
3 C Ohio Riesling
1 C water
2 oz. apricot preserves
1. Roll thawed sheet of pastry to a 9-inch round, roll second pastry sheet to 11-inch round and refrigerate.
2. To make almond filling – break up almond paste into small chunks and place in mixer bowl.
3. Add sugar and mix on medium speed until almond paste is broken into small pieces.
4. Add eggs, one at a time, and mix thoroughly, scraping down the sides as you go.
5. Increase mixer speed to high for 1 minute until all ingredients are blended.
6. Add almond and all-purpose flour and mix to blend thoroughly. Chill.
7. To make reduction – combine all ingredients and cook over medium heat (stovetop) until reduced by two-thirds.
8. Cool reduction. Reserve 1/4 cup. Add 1/4 cup sugar and further reduce to make glaze.
9. Place apricot halves in reduced wine sauce and refrigerate for 1 hour.
10. To assemble:
- Remove apricots from wine and pat dry.
- Place apricots, cut side down, on bottom pastry.
- Spoon filling over apricots. Spoon 1/4 cup reduction over filling.
- Cover filling with 11-inch pastry round and crimp edges and use knife to cut lines partway through dough.
- Brush beaten egg/cream mixture over top. Crimp edges with fork.
- Bake at 425F for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 375F and bake 20-30 minutes until golden brown. Cool in wire rack.
- While cooling, brush on reduction sauce glaze. Garnish with toasted almonds/sanding sugar. Serve warm.