2015 First Place Entrée – Cooking with Ohio Wines Competition
- 4 ounces regular bacon, sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 3 to 4 pounds bone-in chicken thighs with skin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 pound carrots, quarter and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup pearl onions, chopped
- 1 cup mini potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, stems removed and sliced thick
- 1/2 bottle River Village Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 10 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- fresh parsley to garnish
- Preheat oven to 250-degrees Fahrenheit.
- In large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat for 10 minutes or until lightly-browned. Remove back and drain on paper towel lined plate.
- Pat chicken thighs dry with paper towels; salt and pepper each side. When bacon is removed from skillet, cook chicken in bacon fat on both sides until evenly-browned on each side. Remove chicken; set aside.
- Cook carrots, onions and potatoes in skillet with remaining bacon fat; cook until vegetables are just tender and light brown. Add garlic and mushrooms; cooking 5 more minutes. Stir in wine, chicken stock and thyme. Whisk in flour. Cook and stir until mixture is slightly-thickened.
- In large casserole dish, layer 1/2 bacon over bottom. Top with chicken, skin-side up. Spoon vegetable and sauce mixture over chicken; topping with remaining bacon. Cover tightly and bake 30 to 40 minutes. Season with more salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley before serving. Enjoy and serve with remaining River Village Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon.