2013 Ohio State Fair
2½ lbs. Beef stew meat, trimmed of fat
3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 large onions
2 Ribs of celery
16 oz. Mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 Carrots, peeled and diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
12 c. Beef stock
1½ c. Dry red wine
1½ tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Dried Thyme
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
4 large All purpose potatoes, peeled and cut into large dice
1. Cut the meat into bite-size chunk.
2. Heat the oil in large soup pot over moderately high heat. Add the meat and brown on all sides.
3. Transfer the meat to a bowl, then stir the onion and celery into the pot, adding a little more oil if needed.
4. Cook, stirring over moderate heat for 5 minutes, then stir in the mushrooms, carrots and garlic, stirring for an additional 3 minutes.
5. Add the remaining ingredients, except for the potatoes and add the beef.
6. Bring the soup to a simmer, partially cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes
7. Add the potatoes and return the soup to a simmer.
8. Cover the soup partially and simmer until potatoes are tender, an additional 20 minutes.
9. Stir, sample and add salt and/or pepper to taste.