Third Place, Entree or Side Dish Category
2005 Ohio State Fair
4 to 6 Servings
¾ c. wild rice
½ tsp. salt
1/3 c. pitted dates, cut up
½ c. dried apricots, cut up
½ c. dried figs, cut up
½ c. dried currants
1 c. Lonz American Cream Concord
4 scallions, thinly-sliced
3 ribs celery, diced
½ c. toasted pecans, coarsely chopped
1 navel orange
juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
½ c. walnut oil
1 tart apple or ripe but firm pear
2/3 c. seedless grapes
red leaf lettuce(garnish)
1. Wash rice in collander.
2. Place rice in bowl and pour boiling water over rice; soaking for 30 minutes.
3. Drain and place in saucepan with 4 c. water and ½ tsp. salt.
4. Bring to a boil and simmer covered for 30 to 40 minutes or until pods open and kernels are swollen and tender.
5. Drain and set aside.
6. Soak dates, apricots, figs, and currants in Lonz American Cream Concord for 30 minutes.
7. Drain off wine and reserve.
8. Combine dried fruit, scallions, celery, pecans, and wild rice in large bowl.
9. Remove zest from orange and chop.
10. Make vinaigrette by mixing together the reserved Lonz American Cream Concord, orange zest, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, and pepper.
11. Whisk in walnut oil.
12. Toss wild rice mixture with vinaigrette.
13. Just before serving, peel oranges and cut into segments. Add to salad.
14. Peel and core apple or pear and cut into bite-size pieces.
15. Add to salad with the grapes.
16. Sprinkle with chives and parsley and serve on curled lettuce leaf.