2011 Ohio State Fair
2 c. & 2 tbsp. flour
1/2 c. blanched almonds, ground
1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 c. butter
2 tsp. sugar
1/2 c. sugar, divided
1 egg yolk
5 tbsp. Valley Vineyards Honey Mead Wine, divided
beans or pie weights
1 & 1/4 c. 2% milk
1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
3 egg yolks
2 tbsp. cornstarch
2 c. Raven’s Glenn Cherry Wine
1 & 1/2 lb. fresh cherries, pitted
1 pkg. Dr. Oetker’s Clear Glaze
1. Halve and pit 1 & 1/2 lbs. of fresh cherries.
2. Place cherries in a large bowl and cover with 2 c. of Raven’s Glenn Cherry Wine.
3. Marinade cherries in wine for 1 to 4 hours depending on your taste.
4. Preheat oven to 400F.
5. Place almonds in food processor and grind fine.
6. Add flour, salt, sugar, and butter. Process until you have pea sized crumbs. Remove to a large bowl.
7. Whisk egg and wine together. Add to flour mixture.
8. Knead until a smooth dough forms. Shape into a disk; cover with plastic and chill 30 minutes.
9. Roll disk into a circle and fit into tart pan.
10. Place foil over tart shell and fill shell with beans or pie weights.
11. Bake shell for 10 minutes. Remove foil/beans. Lower oven to 375F and bake 15 minutes more.
12. In a saucepan, scald milk and vanilla bean (below a boil, just as milk begins to foam).
13. In a medium heat-proof bowl, whisk egg yolks and 1/4 c. sugar together.
14. Sift 2 tbsp. flour and corn starch together. Add egg to mixture.
15. Remove the milk from the heat and add slowly to the egg mixture, whisking constantly to prevent curdling (if you do get some curdling, you can strain the mixture through a strainer).
16. Remove the vanilla bean and scrape out the seeds. Add seeds to the custard mix. (Rinse & dry vanilla bean to add to sugar for vanilla sugar).
17. Pour the custard mixture back into the saucepan and cook over medium heat until boiling, whisking constantly.
18. When mixture boils, whisk another minute until it thickens. Remove from the heat and add the wine.
19. Pour custard into a clean bowl and cover with plastic wrap to prevent a crust from forming.
20. Cool to room temperature.
21.Whisk custard before putting in tart shell. Spoon into cooled shell.
22. Drain cherries, reserving 1 c. of Cherry Wine.
23. Arrange cherries on top of tart.
24. In a small saucepan, mix wine, 2 tbsp. sugar, and package of Dr. Oetker’s clear glaze.
25. Bring to a boil; let boil 1 minute over medium heat. Cool 1 minute and spoon over fruit.